Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Few Choice Words: Bonnie Erbe & Komen


In her column, "Komen 'Race for the Cure' a Misnomer," Bonnie Erbe has articulated a few of the things that bother me so much about that organization: 
"But the "race for the cure" is a misnomer. After 30 years and literally billions of dollars collected in donations, there still is no cure for breast cancer nor is there one on the horizon."
"Then there's the bit about funding breast cancer research. In its last fiscal year, the foundation spent a paltry 20 percent of its almost $400 million take on research. To call its signature event "the race for the cure" is false advertising. It should more appropriately be called "the race to pay Susan G. Komen executives huge salaries and give them permanent sinecures," or something of that nature."



1 comment:

  1. Exactly! Where's our cure?! And might we increase the annual percentage dedicated for research to slightly more than 20%? Call me crazy, but I was actually thinking more than 50% or higher would be more appropriate to race for that cure! Let me just say, I'm walking for Avon next year (after I view their fiscal statement!).

    ReplyDelete